Confessions of a Make up junkie!

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Concealers Concealers Concealers

I confess. I need concealer. If there is something I can't leave home without, it's my concealer. I have dark circles (hereditary and lack of sleep due to pharmacy school sucking the life out of me) under my eyes. Some days they aren't so bad. Some of my friends say I exaggerate. But other days... well, I need all the help I can get.

I have tried a lot of concealers. Highlighting concealers, opaque, creamy, drug store, high end. You name it. I have searched far and wide for a good concealer that is both long lasting and has good coverage without caking up. I don't like to reapply or touch up when I go out. I like to apply my makeup at home and then not have to think about whether or not there is still some makeup in my face. I simply don't like it. It's a hassle, it takes up space in my bag and its not hygienic to keep applying more layers after being exposed to toxins in the environment. So I don't, and sometimes that meant that by the end of day, I had nothing on my face which wasn't so bad except that my dark circles got noticeable.  The only thing I can manage worrying about is lipstick/lipbalm/lipgloss/lipwhatever. And blotting papers.  I believe I have done a good job finding them. But I also think bobbi brown's bb cream may have added to the staying power of these products.

In any case, I no longer have to worry about my dark circles showing up or makeup leaving my face. The combo of BB cream + any of these concealers have made their way to a permanent stay in my makeup arsenal.

But before I start, there is one thing that changed my life completely. I use it after eye moisturizer and primer, but before an actual concealer. It's called a corrector. And I use Bobbi Brown's corrector in light to medium bisque. This helps cancel out the darkness of my under eye circles. $23.00 at Sephora.


Now before you say anything, NO, a corrector and a concealer are NOT the same! Got it? Good! :P
A corrector is used to (redundantly) "correct" discolorations on the skin. You apply it directly on the area of discoloration. Nowhere else. Why? Because correctors aren't available in skin like shades. They are usually pink/salmon-ish or peach/yellow. No one, here me out, no one in the universe is pink or yellow. So applying this solo is going to look a bit off. Depending on your skin's discolorations, your corrector shade will vary. With concealers -which are available in human skin tones- you can expand the application area further away from dark circles or blemishes to blend, highlight or contour.

After you cancel out the discoloration, when you apply a concealer it will look more like your own skin because you can apply less and still look refreshed and rested. You'll only need a little bit if both. So you won't look like a raccoon or...* GASP!* a reverse raccoon. (You know who they are, the ones who use a concealer that is just too light for their skin without blending it out. Yeah. Stop that. It's not flattering.)


Here are my top three concealers to use in no particular order:

M.A.C. Studio finish concealer SPF 35 (I use shade: NC35) $18.00 MAC cosmetics.

This concealer is perfect for everyday. It's opaque, discreet, generous, affordable and has SPF. You can apply it with fingers or a brush (I prefer to use a concealer brush). There is a big shade variety for this one, so I'm sure you'll find the perfect one. It's perfect for a natural look (ie not highlighting or contouring effect).

However, the lasting power is not great. Personally, I use it to go to college and back (4-6 hours). But If I know I'm going to be out for long time, I don't use it because it just fades away.



Bobbi Brown's Creamy concealer kit $33.00 at Sephora. (shown here with the corrector) I use shade: Sand.

This concealer comes with a light yellow-ish powder to set the concealer. The shade I use from this brand is lighter that my MAC concealer, so when I use this concealer I make sure to blend it out. The shade is just a tad lighter than my skin tone, so it beautifully highlights and makes me look glowy and radiant. I just make sure to blend, blend blend. This concealer is longer lasting but also thick in consistency. It can NOT be applied with fingers. You'll definitely need a concealer brush for this one. You'll also need a small powder brush or sponge to apply the powder. Just a light sweep will do or else it'll cake up and settle into lines.

Cle de Peau Beaute Concealer stick. $70.00 at Nordstrom. I use shade: Ochre

By far the most expensive concealer I've bought and probably one of the most expensive out there. Being the high end b*tch that I can be at times (and struggling with dark circles), I have heard rave and reviews about this concealer. Kim Kardashian loves it, Megan Fox doesn't make an appearance without it and Amanda Seyfried is the new face for this high price make up line. I. Had. To. Have. It.

I'm glad I splurged on this concealer. I can use it with or without corrector or moisturizer. On its own makes me look young, fresh, well rested and just well... awesome. You can apply it directly to your face, use fingers or a brush. I prefer brush on this one as well because I use less product and still get perfect coverage. Lasts and lasts and lasts. HOWEVER, you can not apply anything over it. The formula which is a little thick, dries to sort of a powdery finish. If one tries to set it with powder, one will end up a wrinkly blob. Trust me. And I don't even have wrinkles.

As you may have guessed, I don't use this one for everyday. Too expensive in my book to waste it away for college or whatever. Another limitation for this concealer is the shade range. Last time I checked, there were only 3- 4 shades available and they are all pretty much light toned.


And there you go. My top concealers. Love them all. Can't live without them. I'd probably suffer a stroke if I don't have them in my arsenal because I'm just that silly. ^_^ What can't you live without??


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!